Main difficulty faced by the farmers was non availability of seed processing unit nearer to their villages. Famers were compelled either to go to Savadatti or Dharwad for processing of seeds. Due to non availability of seed processing unit (plant) farmers were compelled to distress sale of their produce in local market as many famers could not avail the facility of seed processing unit located at far of destinations. With this background, the seed processing unit was established in the KVK premises with the financial support of ICAR-IIPR, Kanpur under the NFSM with a financial outlay of Rs. 1,50,00,000 (Rupees One Crore Fifty Lakhs) Only.
- Enhance productivity of green gram and Chickpea
- To promote farmers participatory seed production programme
- Produce and distribute quality seeds along with production technologies to farmers
- To improve the nutritional security of the farm families through increased production of pulses.
(b) Salient achievements
- Seed production was been taken up in an area of 406 ha involving 91 farmers in Bailhongal, Savadatti, Athani and Chikkodi taluks of Belagavi district
- Total 1646 q of seeds have been produced with two crops i,e,. Chickpea and Green gram
- The farmers of Vijayapura and Belagavi districts have been benefited from this project
- The farmers will be benefited in terms of getting quality seeds of improved and high yielding varieties by ensuring timely availability of seeds
- This also promotes nutrition security of farm families
- Farmers will also be encouraged to take up seed production enterprises
- Famers will also get better returns for their produce apart from meeting the nutritional requirement of their families
- Farmers are getting 10-15 % higher price compared to local market prices as they are identified seed growers and registered with KSSOCA
- It is covering the needs of famers in an area of 4,876 ha